Monday, August 11, 2008

Made it to a few Festivals this summer but Shambhala was really awesome!



Hey that Shambhala Festival was like awesome! It was a happening place for 4 days this past weekend. I'm more into reggae, RnB, Hip Hop, soul, African and Carribean music. But the Techno Music at Shambhala was really awesome!
http://www.shambhalamusicfestival.com/
It was the atmosphere of the music and dancing that kept a person going on adrenaline for 10 hrs of music and dancing! I find that I feed off the energy of the ppl dancing around me! Cuz I figure there's a lot of vibes floating around. I went to the portal pottie near one of the stages and thought the thing was going to fall over with me in it as it was really vibrating!
There was a lot of grass, beer, vodka, etc plus a lot of other things floating around. All I
was doing was some grass but this chick gave me a bag of 'shrooms for a few beers as she was out. Then shared my 'shrooms with others. It was that type of atmosphere where everyone was so cool and sharing!
I've attended other outdoor festival events in the past so knew everyone would be cool. share and easy to get along with!

I was forced to wake up pretty early cuz the sun was heating my tent as had to pitch it in the sun in the overflow parking. But I'll be pitching my backpacking tent as it's small or bring a hammock and pitch it near the river next time. I'll also be bringing a chair to sit on in the river to cool off. So every morning after hitting the portal pottie (headed for the woods for some visits) I'd head to the beach (as the river is called) to cool off. Then before long I'd be hearing the music and end up at the stage by the beach. Don't really know the names of the stages but liked the beach one best!
Got caught there in the rain a couple times, plus the awesome lightning storm one night!
Once I'd hear the music well I'd be gone like for the next 12+ hrs or so! I get totally into the music and dancing so never notice what's going on around me. It's funny cuz as soon as the music starts it was like someone switched on the button inside me and I'm up dancing and getting into it. Then soon as it stops it's like I couldn't move, walk or talk as I'm usually still zoned out until the music started again.









Yeah thought that this Shambhala gig was going to be a total f*ck up! I just found out on Tues that I had Thur and Fri off so decided hey I'm going to Shambhala! I didn't have a ticket or any way to go there but thought "what the heck I'm going anyway". I was ready to take my car which can handle 4 ppl. I figured I'd go on Craigslist Rideshare and find someone who wanted to go and share the gas! Well I replied to a bunch of ads of ppl looking for rides to Shambhala! But now I wonder about the integrity of ppl who post for rides!
There was Olga and her friend Ratella who said they'd rideshare. Also Luke in Whistler wanted a ride plus a chick named Charlotte not to mention Nadia! So I thought cool I'll get 4 ppl to rideshare and had stated anyone if coming needed I'd like them to come back too or I'd be stuck coming back alone.
Wanted to leave Thur around 7 am so told the riders. Olga said she was coming for sure but didn't have a ticket either. She said there were some left at a Christina Lake ticket outlet. But she told me her credit card was max'd (didn't believe it but who cared) so asked if I bought it she'd pay me in cash. So I thought what the hell as I believe in "Paying It Forward" (but no one else going did as they're only into themselves and didn't give a shit as long as they got there themselves). Spent the Wed night before we left trying to see who was coming. Luke told me he couldn't get Thur off so he couldn't go till Thur evening.
Then I waited for an answer from Charlotte till midnight cuz she was at work and trying to buy a ticket. She never did call me as she said she would cuz Thur when I called whoever answered said she was getting another ride! But thought there was still 3 of us going which was OK! I called Ratella the day before we left and she said she was coming and gave me her address. On Thur around 7 am when I went to pick her up she didn't come to the door or answer her phone. Then I found out from Olga that Ratella decided not to go even if she had a ticket!
So it ended up that there would only be the 2 of us going now! You could say I wasn't a happy camper! Then I found out that Olga wanted to return Mon (can't blame her as I had to come back on Sun as I had to work Mon).
But we picked up 3 paying hitch hikers outside Ososyos going to Shambhala. I was glad cuz then slept and let one of the hitch hikers drive! So now the hitch hikers took over things as they repacked the trunk, decided where to stop for beer, stash the beer, etc as I dozed the rest of the way!
When the other 4 went to find a tent site, I tagged along to check out the sites. But had plans to do my own thing as wasn't interested in hanging with them!
That was a good decision as there were a lot of ppl there to talk to & lot of ppl doing their own thing. I can't remember many who I spoke to as it wasn't a big deal but they were all friendly and interesting. There was this Aussie guy who had fixed up a van for the Festival. So was going to hang with him but didn't get around to it. There was this chick from Victoria who was sitting on a log in the creek chillin'. So we hung out for a hr or so having a smoke and talking. It's funny cuz I didn't notice until she was walking away that I had seen her dancing all afternoon and thought her dancing was sexy! But never got a chance to tell her cuz never saw her again. I remember her name was Laura and was there by herself. Then was down by the creek another day and started talking to these 2 chicks from Washington! They mentioned that they were partners which was cool to me! We had a smoke and one of them noticed a beer floating by so got a free beer. Also met this dude Jay from Golden while watching some ppl doing yoga so he was explaining yoga to me! Then this chick comes by and we started chatting and she ended up giving me a bag of 'shrooms as I gave her the last of my beers. So Jay went to get us a beer so I gave him some 'shrooms! Then there was this guy and chick from Quebec who needed some oil for their $200 car so happened to have one so gave it to him! It was that type of atmosphere where ppl were willing to help others!

Yeah I met a bunch of others while listening and dancing but can't remember a thing about who they were, what they looked like or what we said! Spent a lot of time in the lines for the potal potties and water so ended up talking to a lot of ppl to kill time!
I don't usually attend rave festivals so noticed a few things like themes. It was cool to see all the ppl dressed up - like this chick dressed up in a Japanese kimono as thought she looked great & she made it herself as she liked Japanese culture. Had to laugh at Jay he said he was trying to figure out my theme? Hey I wasjust being my quirky self which I guess is still pretty weird in a way! I guess it's hard to figure out what ppl u meet there are really like - Olga thought I maybe a 1st Nations person. That was the first time someone thought that as usually ppl think I'm just an asshole!

Heck I noticed a lot of ppl doing the same as me, listening and getting carried away dancing the same as me for about 10 10 - 12 hrs / day! What I noticed is that a lot of chicks would be dancing next to me and then just step in front of me and keep dancing! It would kind of break my zone of the music but hey I guess I could have danced with them! Also found when 5 or 6 ppl walked thru the crowd during the music, they would step on my feet as was only wearing flip flops!

I drove back to Vancouver on Sun morning myself even tho there were probably a ton of ppl looking for a ride! I did pick up 4 hitch hikers going to Salmo or they had a long walk. I only gave a guy and chick a ride to Salmo as they were heading north and I was going west. I gave these 2 brothers a ride to Castlegar to catch a flt back to Toronto. They were interesting as they only hung out to go to a different festival every summer. They said one of the best festival they've been to is the Sziget festival. It takes place on a Danube island in the heart of Budapest, Hungary boasts some 60 venues to provide entertainment in every possible flavor you can imagine: be it music, dance, theater or art - just to name some. I may check out ones like that in the future as it would be so cool to hear a variety of genres and festivals!
This summer I've attend and volunteered at the African Peace Festival, Jazz Festival, Carribean Days Festival. Also attended the Surrey Fusion and watched Jully Black who is an awesome Canadian RnB singer! Then next weekend I plan to volunteer and attend the AFRIKADEY FESTIVAL 2008 -
http://www.africanvibesfm.com/afrikadey/
The music and dancing will be awesome as I love black ppl & music as I've attended other African heritage festivals.
Then the following weekend I may head to the Bonfire Music Festival http://www.bonfirefestival.com/index.php a uniquely British Columbian festival experience. A 3-day, hassle-free, art-infused weekend of exceptional music, camping and fun.

So I'll probably be looking to check out more festivals in the future. If I'm around BC next summer I'll be sure to attend Shambhala Festival again. But don't think I'll ever count on finding ppl to share the driving costs as they aren't reliable!

We stopped along the way for a smoke and found a cool spot with lots of ppl diving into the river off a big rock.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

VerveEarth

Places of people who visit this blog

About Me

Email: freespiritguy@gmail.com Enjoy adventure, outdoors, travelling & meeting people but mostly life. My background is in computer software allowing me to work in Australia, New Zealand, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Canada & recently in the US. Enjoyed & found it challenging but at a crossroad as need to upgrade my IT skill set to continue my career. But would like to expand my life's experiences. So rather than upgrade in IT, I'll maybe work part time & take a course like Forensic Science or something. Also do more travelling & volunteering. I've helped at the Salvation Army, ran in several Cancer runs & coached disabled people to ski. Feels good to make a difference in someone's life. Made me appreciate having my health, mind, family, friends & ability to accomplish almost anything. Found people volunteering are friendly, helpful, kind & not pretentious. Searching for an organization to experience the challenge of volunteering where people have difficulty improving their life due to their environment & resources.