Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What is it about Sushi?




Hey a couple of us were sitting around eating Japanese food one night. Some were saying boy this sushi is good! So being the idiot, my reply was "Well how could you f--k up sushi if it's the raw fish and rice kind that most people like best". Let's face it what does the cook have to do but cook the sushi rice in a rice cooker. Add the right amount of rice vinegar, put some the raw fish and presto you've satsified the palate of most sushi lovers. My humble opinion is that probably the freshness of the seafood is what makes or breaks those kinds of sushi. Which is probably why 99% of the sushi resturants are not run by Japanese. Funny I asked a Chinese person if they would eat at a Chinese restuarant with a Japanese cook and they said they wouldn't. So with Sushi it's the dude who has the inside track on fresh seafood who scores points with most sushi lovers! But maybe true Japanese food takes a more traditional Japanese to prepare.


Sushi is vinegared rice,usually topped with other ingredients, including fish, various meats, and vegetables. Outside of Japan, sushi is sometimes misunderstood to mean the raw fish itself, or even any fresh raw-seafood dishes.In Japan, sliced raw fish alone is called sashimi and is distinct from sushi, as sashimi is the raw fish component, not the rice component.

There are various types of sushi: sushi served rolled inside nori (dried and pressed layer sheets of seaweed or alga) called makizushi or rolls; sushi made with toppings laid with hand-formed clumps of rice called nigirizushi ; toppings stuffed into a small pouch of fried tofu called inarizushi; and toppings served scattered over a bowl of sushi rice called chirashi-zushi.

I guess the others thought I would have something profound to say about sushi since I'm of Japanese descent even if my family have been in Canada over 100 years. But I told them hey I don't know much about anything so u guys probably have more knowledge about sushi than me! I only like to eat foto maki (makizushi) and inarizushi cuz when I want raw fish I usually eat sashimi (& as an appetizer). Actually when I visited Japan I came away appreciating the more traditional meals like a bowl of rice, miso soup and condiments (too hard to describe but like diakon pickled and smells like someone's week old socks). Heck that's what Japanese eat for breakfast but I wasn't into it at that time of the day as I still like my cereal or toast for breakie!

I think my favorite Japanese food can be bought from Fujiya a Japanese food store here in Vancouver. I buy some treats when I'm in the neighbor hood. My favorite Japanese restuarants are the ones where they greet a guest with maybe a hello ( like Ohio) and thank you (arigato) as it seems more authentic. I was surprised in Japan that department stores had greeters at the door when they opened just to say hello. Like the greeters at Walmart but with a little more enthusiasm and warmth! Somehow the all u can eat sushi restuarants don't do anything for me which is strange cuz usually I'm more into quantity than quality but then I wouldn't eat sushi at most of those resturants

I think there are now Japanese restuarants all over the world. I think the oddest Japanese restuarant that I ate at was in Anchorage Alaska as they had a Mexican cook. The seafood was fresh but kind of tasted like Taco Sushi! But hey who cares as long as it doesn't kill u or isn't cooked in animal oil so it's fattening then it's cool!

No comments:

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

VerveEarth

Places of people who visit this blog

About Me

Email: freespiritguy@gmail.com Enjoy adventure, outdoors, travelling & meeting people but mostly life. My background is in computer software allowing me to work in Australia, New Zealand, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Canada & recently in the US. Enjoyed & found it challenging but at a crossroad as need to upgrade my IT skill set to continue my career. But would like to expand my life's experiences. So rather than upgrade in IT, I'll maybe work part time & take a course like Forensic Science or something. Also do more travelling & volunteering. I've helped at the Salvation Army, ran in several Cancer runs & coached disabled people to ski. Feels good to make a difference in someone's life. Made me appreciate having my health, mind, family, friends & ability to accomplish almost anything. Found people volunteering are friendly, helpful, kind & not pretentious. Searching for an organization to experience the challenge of volunteering where people have difficulty improving their life due to their environment & resources.