Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Went to Edmonton to see my family and rushed back to vote in the Fed Election!

Well I went to Edmonton to visit my family for the Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend and of course see my Mom as will be travelling for the next 8 months! I like to see my Mom as she's a really sweet person that most ppl love when they meet her! They probably also wonder how such a nice person could have had a son like me! Well maybe there was a mix up in babies at the hospital or something! But I don't lose any sleep over it but just go with da flow!
So I had a good visit as may not make it there for quite a while! I like the ppl in Edmonton (but not some of the red necks) but not crazy about the city or the weather! What I'd like to do if I had a choice is move all the idiots from Vancouver to Edmonton and move all those ppl here! But in my dreams!

Yeah I spent 4 days there seeing family and friends (yeah I do know some ppl that consider me a friend)! It was also my ex mother in law's birthday and she lives 1 hr outside of Edmonton so drove out there to celebrate it with her! Caught a ride with my ex sisiter in law cuz I lost my driver's licence (will explain that later). I get along with her but she's really an ultra conservative! She calls me and says I hope u don't mind me but I hope ur aren't bringing any grass with u! I was floored like yeah I'm bringing a bunch of grass with me to smoke up with your elderly mother and u! I like smoking grass better than drinking liquor but that doesn't mean I take it everywhere! Hell I haven't smoked for about a month cuz haven't been in the mood as have been just focusing on leaving town to travel! Some ppl are so conservative that they've got this hang up about grass! But heck they think that drinking is OK. Well let me tell u I've never seen ppl fight or argue after smoking! Heck they get so laid back! But I know it's not for everyone and I'd never force or ask anyone to smoke as more for me! But that's one of the things I like about Vancouver is u can smoke it and no one really bats an eye!
Heck my late ex father in law was an alcoholic and could be an angry drunk at times. Shit he would have been so relaxed if he smoked but he just drank all the time cuz it was acceptable in society!

So about my driver's licence well I lost it Thur before I flew to Edmonton. Yeah I actually lost my driver's licence and it wasn't for DUI or whatever! What happened was I hadn't voted ahead of time cuz I was too busy getting someone to sub lease my room, packing my stuff, getting things together, etc. So on Thur in my ignorance as I was going for a run I thought I'd go and vote ahead of time (like what made me thing that advance voting was 4 days before the election). So I grabbed my drivier's licence for id and went to the high school which I thought was the closest polling station. But of course it wasn't open so I ran home and fiound out that I've lost my driver's licence!

Well in Edmonton I couldn't borrow my brother's car cuz I didn't have a licence! So I had to run 5 miles to visit a friend as don't mind running. It may have been cold but not when I run and the rain made me feel at home! The problem having no driver's licence was when I went to buy some liquor as I couldn't use my ATM card cuz they needed a pic id and who carries their passport with them all the time!

But got to see the Oilers season opening hockey game which was nice cuz I haven't been to a hockey game for 10 years! It was a bit boring plus I'm not a big hockey fan tho I used to love playing it! I love watching and playing football more but what can u say when ur given a free ticket!

Also went for Dim Sum in Edmonton which is another another thing I hadn't done for a couple years. Strange went for Dim Sum in Edmonton given that I live in Hongcouver home of some of the best Dim Sum in Canada! But went with a bunch of friends so it was that more than the food that was enjoyable!

So yesterday was the Fed Election so had a flt back at 5 pm and my ex wife picked me up (her idea not mine cuz she's a real nice friend to me) and dropped me off so I could race to vote! Well I've only lived in the West End for 9 months so am not resgistered to vote or even know where to go to vote. But I headed to the local high school as thought that was where I vote! The West End is full of single and sort of transient ppl who are the same as me and have only lived there for 1 year or less! So like there were about 50 ppl in line outside the high school! Well heck it was organized like the government. I asked one of the ppl answering questions if this is the place and line for me to be in cuz I'm not registered to vote. Well they say of course it is so get in line. So I wait about 1/2 hr in line and get to the front of the line. Then they tell me No you have to be at this church on Burrard which is about 10 blocks away. By this time it's 630 pm and the polls close at 730pm. So I race over to the church and find that the line there is just as long! So I wait in line another 30 mins after trying to get some answers first. So when I get to the front of the line I find out that I have to fill out this form and go in this other line which has about 30 ppl! Well I didn't think of bring a pen as I just brought my passport and my car registration as proof of my residence (which I have sub leased but who'd know that and that I have no real residence at this time). So I get in this other line and fill out my form and wait as by now it's 715 pm. Well I haven't ate any dinner plus have to hit the bathroom. But I was scared to leave the line so I suffer there only to find out I can't vote as the polls closed before I get there! I would have liked to oust that Heddy Fry but never got to exercise my vote but did my frustration! So u ppl in the US and African countries pls understand that there can be problems in all countries when u go to exercise your democratic right to vote. So in the US they have a 75 year old women who gets it in her head that Barrack Obama is an Arab, like duh? Then in Kenya they have ethnic riots and killings after their election. While here in Canada we just have idiots like me that run around in ignorance and can't make it in time to vote.

Yeah I always have trouble with bureauaracy! About 3 weeks ago I realize that my passport only had 5 blank pages left. So even tho I have 3 years till it expires I decided to get a new one. Cuz I figure to go to maybe 15 countries and don't want to run out of pages and have to get a new passport in a foreign country! So at 7 3o am I head to the Passport office to be first in line. I have my completed 2 page renewal form and my 2 non smiling pics in hand. Well I still have to wait for enough clerks to arrivel Then I'm told to go downstairs to get my forms verified (for what?) but Ifollow the bureauracy. Then once I get my number called I figure I've got it made! But the clerk looks in the computer and says oh u got u'r passport renewed the last time in the US. So u have to fill out this 6 page new passport application and get someone who has a passport that u've known for 2 years to notarize ur pic! Well now I have to go fill out this form and go thru the same crap again. But worse I have to find someone who's known me for 2 years! So I rush over to my ex-wife's office to have her sign it for me. Cuz I wanted to apply that day as I only had 3 weeks to apply and get my new passport. Plus the clerk has already cut the corner of my old passport so it's invalid. This time I paid $5 more for 48 pages rather than the regular 24 pages. Also paid $10 so I could pick up the passport rather than having it couriered out. But haven't quite figured out why it cost to pick it up rather than have it couried!

But this morning I had to go get a new driver's licence. So I take my shiny never been used passport to the Motor Vehicles to get a new driver's licence. I show the clerk my new passport as ID plus my government issued Nexus card & car registration with my address of my sub leased place. But she tells me we can't issue a driver's licence with a pic unless u have a birth Certificate.
She says u can fill this form out to order a new birth certificate. I have a birth certificate but not on me. So I race home to get my birth certificate and finally get my new drivers licence but it's only a temporaty one as my real one will be delivered to me! Unfortunately I won't be around to get it plus have no mailing address. So I tell the clerk to mail it to my ex wife's place. So now I have this temp licence that expires in 2 months. But I doubt if I'll drive or rent a car in Central or South America but wanted it when I return to Canada.

Still trying to figure out why I needed to show my driver's licence as Id to get a new passport. But when I went to get a new driver's licence they didn't want my passport buy wanted my birth certificate. Must be cuz the passport is fed and driver's licence is provincial. So wonder what I need for ID to get a new birth certificate? My mother's id or maybe a baptismal certificate!!

No comments:

Blog Archive

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

VerveEarth

Places of people who visit this blog

About Me

Email: freespiritguy@gmail.com Enjoy adventure, outdoors, travelling & meeting people but mostly life. My background is in computer software allowing me to work in Australia, New Zealand, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Canada & recently in the US. Enjoyed & found it challenging but at a crossroad as need to upgrade my IT skill set to continue my career. But would like to expand my life's experiences. So rather than upgrade in IT, I'll maybe work part time & take a course like Forensic Science or something. Also do more travelling & volunteering. I've helped at the Salvation Army, ran in several Cancer runs & coached disabled people to ski. Feels good to make a difference in someone's life. Made me appreciate having my health, mind, family, friends & ability to accomplish almost anything. Found people volunteering are friendly, helpful, kind & not pretentious. Searching for an organization to experience the challenge of volunteering where people have difficulty improving their life due to their environment & resources.